Background Image

Law enforcement continues manhunt for suspected killer Kirby Gene Wallace

Home  /  News  /  Law enforcement continues manhunt for suspected killer Kirby Gene Wallace

Law enforcement continues manhunt for suspected killer Kirby Gene Wallace

MONTGOMERY/STEWART COUNTIES: Manhunt. It’s not often that we hear the word used today. But in the northwest corner of Middle Tennessee, that’s just what is happening. Police are out in force, roads are closed and schools are on lockdown as the search for a wanted killer enters its 4th day.

Law enforcement officers from numerous departments are searching for 53-year-old murder suspect Kirby Gene Wallace, a TBI Top 10 most wanted fugitive. Wallace is 5 feet 10 inches tall, of medium build, weighs 157 pounds, with thinning gray and brown hair, hazel eyes, and possible facial hair. He may be wearing camouflage clothing. He is considered armed and dangerous.

Police believe he is on foot in the area of Cumberland City Road and Frankie Road. Wallace allegedly killed two people and seriously injured a third during crimes at two separate Middle Tennessee homes. He is wanted on charges of first-degree murder, felony murder, aggravated arson, especially aggravated kidnapping, especially aggravated robbery, especially aggravated burglary and theft of property.

A massive manhunt over the weekend included more 100 law enforcement officers from across Tennessee along with canine units and air support but failed to apprehend Wallace. Wallace is believed to be in hiding somewhere in Cumberland City Road/Frankie Road area.

The perimeter created by law enforcement has been broken down into a grid system with deputies going door-to-door in each section of the grid to speak to every household and clear all buildings and structures. Checkpoints are still set up in the area and anyone attempting to leave or enter the area will be stopped by law enforcement and searched.

Residents are asked to call 911 to report anything suspicious or unusual and not attempt to investigate on their own.

Several intersections were closed on Tuesday in Stewart and Montgomery counties:

  • Cumberland City Road and Lylewood Road (Montgomery County)
  • Cumberland City Road and Poplar Springs Road (Montgomery County)
  • Cumberland City Road and 7 Mile Ridge Road (Stewart County)
  • Cumberland City Road and Glen Holliday Road (Stewart County)
  • Cumberland City Road and Hayes Ridge Road (Stewart County)
  • Wildcat Creek and Highway 46 (Stewart County)
  • Lylewood Road and Reed Road (Montgomery County)

Stewart County Schools are on soft lockdown today and deputies planned to escort school buses driving routes through the Indian Mound area and supervise children, according to the Stewart County Sheriff’s Department. Security has been heightened and deputies are escorting school buses in the Indian Mound area.

In Montgomery County, school Buses 784 and 1724, serving Woodlawn Elementary, New Providence Middle and Northwest High will not be running their routes Tuesday because they are in the search area.

Woodlawn Elementary and Liberty Elementary remain on lockout status until otherwise notified. Police are positioned at the two elementary schools. Bus routes north of the search area are being accompanied by law enforcement. Clarksville-Montgomery County School System (CMCSS) spokesperson Elise Shelton said law enforcement is stationed at both elementary schools and is screening anyone who comes in our out.

Gray said a man was found shot to death Monday, with his truck stolen, in the search area for Wallace in Montgomery County. The man, whose identity has not yet been released, was found at the corner of Poplar Springs Road and Welker Road. The man’s Ford truck was stolen, and Wallace was later seen driving the truck, according to Montgomery County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Sandra Brandon. The truck was recovered Monday and Wallace was believed to be on foot.

Just one day earlier,  Wallace attacked a couple and set their home on fire, killing the wife and seriously injuring her husband. Brenda Smith, 63, and her husband Teddy Smith came home from church Sunday to find a person in their home on Rorie Hollow Road. Gray said the couple was bound and the house set on fire. The woman’s husband managed to escape and was taken to Tennova Healthcare-Clarksville. The couple’s son, who lives nearby, arrived at the house with a family friend. He had to break a glass window to get his mother out; her arms were tied with what appeared to be electrical wire.

A reward of $7,500 is being offered for information leading to Wallace’s capture. Anyone who spots him is asked to call 1-800-TBI-FIND.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)