Bestselling meal prep author Toby Amidor, MS RD CDN is back again with another way to master meal prep: Smart Meal Prep for Beginners: Recipes and Weekly Plans for Healthy, Ready-to-Go Meals publishes today from Rockridge Press.
Start – and stick with – meal prep with this comprehensive book that includes:
- 6-Weekly meal prep plans that progressively ease beginners from prepping breakfast and lunch (2 plans) to a full day’s meal prep featuring breakfast, lunch, and dinner (4 plans)
- Must-have meal prep tools that include prep day guidance, shopping lists, plus storage and reheating information
- Meal prep 101 gets you started with need-to-know info about meal prepping, including meal prep Dos and Don’ts and food storage guidelines
Smart Meal Prep for Beginners is a fool-proof plan to meal prep like a pro and have healthy meals ready-to-go, no questions asked.
Toby Amidor is a leading dietitian, recipe developer, and author of the cookbooks The Healthy Meal Prep Cookbook and The Easy 5-Ingredient Healthy Cookbook.
Here’s a sample recipe from her new cookbook:
SHEET PAN LEMON CHICKEN with POTATOES and CARROTS
PREP TIME: 15 minutes COOK TIME: 45 minutes
Potatoes have a bad reputation in some circles, but they actually add quite a bit of nutrition to a meal. One medium red spud contains 154 calories, 3 grams of fiber, 36 percent of your daily vitamin C needs, 27 percent of your daily potassium needs (more than bananas!), and a slew of B vitamins. Many of these nutrients, including fiber and some iron, come from the potato skin, so feel free to keep them on.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons, 1 juiced and 1 thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes, quartered
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch coins (about 1 pound)
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into 1/2-inch coins (about 1/2 pound)
Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Coat a sheet pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Add the chicken, potatoes, carrots, and parsnips to the dressing and toss to coat.
Gently pour the vegetables and chicken onto the prepared baking sheet, making sure they are in a single layer. Top with the lemon slices. Place in the oven and roast for 40 to 45 minutes until the chicken reaches a minimum internal cooking temperature of 165˚F.
Into each of 4 containers, scoop about 2 cups of chicken and vegetables.
Storage: Place airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. To freeze, place freezer-safe containers in the freezer for up to 2 months. To defrost, refrigerate overnight. To reheat individual portions, microwave uncovered on high for 2 to 2 ½ minutes.
TOBY’S TIP: To minimize food waste, add leftover vegetables like carrots, beets, or Brussels sprouts to this mix.
Per Serving (1 container): Calories: 510; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Protein: 33g; Total Carbs: 53g; Fiber: 9g; Sugar: 9g; Sodium: 596mg