NEW YORK, NY: The International Centre for Women Playwrights (ICWP) today announced its 2018 50/50 Applause Awards, honoring theaters that produce plays written in equal measure by women and men. At the same time, the Centre finds that the vast majority of theaters around the world are coming up short in terms of gender equity.
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Theatre in Chattanooga has joined the rarefied air of 62 theatres worldwide which have been honored with a 50/50 Applause Award for 2018.
This 50/50 Applause Awards 2018 Celebration video showcases photos from over twenty theaters and production photos from a selection of their female authored plays.
The Centre received 103 nominations and only 62 qualified for the award. The awards honor theaters at least half of whose productions in their July 2017- June 2018 seasons are written by women. Further, a theater must have staged three or more productions during the season and have plays authored by both male and female in their season. For the 2018 Awards, only Main Stage productions were taken into account, as that is where most theater budgets are spent and where playwrights receive the most media attention and career advancement.
Silent Sky (clip below) is one of the recent plays presented at UT/Chattanooga.
The 62 recipients of this year’s awards are found throughout Australia, Canada, Finland, Scotland, Singapore, South Africa, United States, and Wales.
“We are pleased to see that there are some theaters that, year after year, provide opportunities for women playwrights. We salute their efforts,” said 50/50 Applause Award Co-Chair Patricia L. Morin. “However, we will witness more economic discrimination toward women playwrights (smaller stages, less performances, less pay), as well as the constant promotion of male voices, unless more theaters step up and join the ranks to support 50/50 gender parity.
The 2018 50/50 Applause Awards come in the wake of a momentous year for women’s struggle for equality in many different arenas. The #metoo movement that began in October 2017 rocked the film, media and theater industries across the world. The movement has shown how a bullying and sexually abusive environment limits the participation and career success of women.
The 50/50 Applause Award recipients for the 2017-2018 season are (* Indicates a Repeat Recipient) :
- * University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Theatre, Chattanooga, TN, USA
- * 16th Street Theater, Berwyn, IL USA
- Acadiana Repertory Theatre, Lafayette, LA USA
- * Alberta Theatre Projects, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Arkansas Repertory Theatre, Little Rock, AR USA
- * Aurora Theatre Company, Berkeley, CA USA
- Baxter Theatre Centre, Cape Town, South Africa
- Belvoir St. Theatre, Surry Hills, NSW, Australia
- Berkeley Repertory Theatre, Berkeley, CA, USA
- Burning Coal Theatre Company, Raleigh, NC USA
- Capital Stage Company, Sacramento, CA, USA
- Catholic University of America, Hartke Theatre, Washington, DC USA
- * Centenary Stage Company, Hackettstown, NJ, USA
- * Central Works, Berkeley, CA, USA
- Centre du Théâtre d’Aujourd’hui, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- * Checkpoint Theatre, Singapore, Singapore
- * City Theatre Company, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
- Epic Theatre Company, Cranston, RI, USA
- * Factory Theatre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Geffen Playhouse, Los Angeles, CA, USA
- * Globe Theatre, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
- * Globus Theatre @ the LAB, Bobcaygeon, Ontario, Canada
- * Great Canadian Theatre Company, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Griffin Theatre Company, Kings Cross NSW, Australia
- * HERE Arts Center, New York, NY, USA
- * Horizon Theatre Company, Atlanta, GA, USA
- Huntington Theatre Company, Boston, MA, USA
- * Imago Theatre, Portland, Oregon, USA
- Jungle Theater, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- * Key City Public Theatre, Port Townsend, WA, USA
- * Kitchen Theatre Company, Ithaca, NY, USA
- * Know Theatre of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH USA
- La Jolla Playhouse, La Jolla, CA, USA
- Lab Theater Project, Tampa, FL, USA
- * Magic Theatre, San Francisco, CA, USA
- * Marin Theatre Company, Mill Valley, CA, USA
- Marjorie Lyons Playhouse, Centenary Theatre Program of Louisiana, Shreveport, LA, USA
- MCC Theater, New York, NY, USA
- * Mildred’s Umbrella Theater Company, Houston, TX USA
- New Jersey Repertory Company, Long Branch, NJ, USA
- * Northlight Theatre, Skokie, IL, USA
- * off the WALL Productions, Carnegie, PA, USA
- * Open Stage of Harrisburg, Harrisburg, PA USA
- * Paul Robeson Theatre, Buffalo, NY, USA
- People’s Light, Malvern, PA, USA
- * Plan-B Theatre Company, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
- * Playwrights Horizons, New York, NY, USA
- Portland Stage Company, Portland, ME, USA
- * Prairie Theatre Exchange, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
- * Rep Stage Howard Community College, Columbia, MD, USA
- * Round House Theatre, Bethesda, MD, USA
- Royal Lyceum Theatre Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
- * Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
- * Shelterbelt Theatre, Omaha, NE, USA
- * Shotgun Players, Berkeley, CA, USA
- * Signature Theatre Company, New York, NY, USA
- * South Coast Repertory, Costa Mesa, CA, USA
- Stages Theatre Company, Hopkins, MN, USA
- * Synchronicity Theatre, Atlanta, GA, USA
- * Teatro Paraguas, Santa Fe, NM, USA
- The Other Room, Cardiff, Wales, UK
- Wasa Teater, Vasa, Finland
More information about the awards and theatre productions can be found online.