MEMPHIS: The King and I. An American in Paris. Phantom of the Opera. The Color Purple. What’s not to like?
The Orpheum Theatre in Memphis has announced its lineup for the Broadway Series 2017-18.
Here’s the list:
- The King and I: Rogers and Hammerstein’s classic tale of the English schoolteacher who wins the heart of the King of Siam. Musical numbers include Whistle a Happy Tune and Shall We Dance.
- An American in Paris: Songs and music include I Got Rhythm, I’ll Build A Stairway to Paradise, ‘S Wonderful, and Love is Here to Stay.
- The Phantom of the Opera: From its London Debut in 1988, Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Phantom of the Opera has captured hearts and minds for more than 25 years and still going strong. Set in the Paris Opera House, the haunting Phantom mesmirizes audiences with a near operatic score, stunning sets and costumes, and a truly haunting tale of love lost and found. (video is from the original production with Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford)
- Finding Neverland: A take on the classic Peter Pan story in music and song.
- The Color Purple: The story follows the life of Celie Johnson as she struggles through life as a black woman in the early 1900s.
- Wicked: Oz has never looked so good. This tale gives a entirely new perspective on the witches of Oz.
- Something Rotten! Brothers Nick and Nigel Bottom are desperate to write a hit play but are stuck in the shadow of that Renaissance rockstar known as “The Bard.”
There’s an added bonus for fans of the Broadway smash Hamilton. According to the Orpheum, people who subscribe to the 2017-18 season and renew their subscription for the next season will have the first opportunity to get tickets to Hamilton.